I have been wanting to get into another quilt for a few weeks now but have been so occupied with market sewing that I haven't had the chance. I knew exactly what I wanted but couldn't find a pattern I like so decided to have a go at making up my own pattern. I wanted to use the jelly roll that I had bought recently (see previous post) so wanted to make up some simple blocks using these strips. There are 7 different 8 inch square blocks, with a total of 20 blocks in the quilt. I am planning on adding strips of plain white or off white material between the blocks as well as around the edge to really make the blocks stand out. Then FMQ again as I really enjoyed doing that with the last quilt.
So I drew up what I wanted and spent an hour or so working out the calculations and checking and double checking all my measurements (I felt like I was back in school!) lol
Cut and make up these blocks which actually turned out to all be the right size - yay!
Now I just need to get my plain fabric I want for in between the blocks and around the edge and work out what i want the backing piece and binding to be. It should measure when finished 40" x 52" (approx 100cm x 130cm), so a good size for a cot quilt. If all goes to plan I might even do a tutorial for this one as it has taken no time at all to get to this stage, jelly rolls make it so easy!





2 comments:
So quick! It looks great now, and will be even better with the light sashing between the blocks.
You'll be so proud of the finished result when its all your own design. Looks really great so far!
Post a Comment